The Camden - Kings Bay Council supports several special projects throughout the year. They include:
- VA Medical Center Supplies
- Operation Paperback
- Great Portage Race
- Military Veterans Lounge at Coastal College of Georgia
Each year the Council collects donations of supplies (and cash/checks, of course) and makes two trips (July and December) to the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Lake City, FL, to deliver the donations, visit with the hospitalized Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Coasties, and Airmen and express our thanks for their past service and sacrifice.
Here's a list of recurring items needed for each visit:
Solid stick deodorant
Other items which can be donated include:
Jumbo print word search books
Cash and checks are also accepted for the purchase of these items. Please make checks payable to "Camden - Kings Bay Navy League," include "VAMC" on the memo line, and drop off at the registration desk at any of our regular meetings or mail to:
Ms. Gull Weaver
105 Royal Ct
St. Marys, GA 31558
If you have any questions, would like to contribute, would like to volunteer to help with this project, or would like to make the trip to the VA Hospital with us in December or July, please contact Cheryl Aston. Thank you in advance for your continued support of this very worthwhile program.
The Camden - Kings Bay Council supports Operation Paperback, a non-profit, volunteer organization that collects gently used books and magazines and sends them to American troops deployed overseas, families of service members and VA Medical Centers.
Gather up your gently used paperback and hardcover books and take them to collection points at the St. Marys Submarine Museum or the Kingsland Visitors Center. You can also bring them to any of our Council meetings or contact OP Coordinator Cheryl Aston to arrange pick up.
Bestsellers, action and spy-novels, murder mysteries, fantasy, and science fiction are the most popular genres. However, we also receive requests for business and investing books, classics, history (especially military history), and current event-oriented non-fiction. Children's books are also popular since service men and women read them to their kids via webcam or on DVDs. Please, no Romance novels.
Non time-sensitive magazines such as Smithsonion Magazine, National Geographic, Atlantic Monthly, Scientific American, etc. are also needed and appreciated.
On average, a box of 20 paperback books (the normal size shipment) will cost about $6 to ship, so monetary contributions toward shipping costs are also greatly appreciated.
Some service members are now using Amazon.com to post their requests. Amazon has the requester's address and can handle shipping as part of the purchase. Using Amazon also ensures that the requester does not receive duplicate copies of books requested. Links to the requester's Wish List on Amazon are included below, if available.
Operation Paperback is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization (EIN 41-2209836). Donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law. If you want to support this very worthwhile organization please contact Cheryl Aston.
CURRENT REQUEST LIST (February 2016)
- Danaya B. has a QUICK SHIPMENT
requirement! Shipment will be by the END OF FEBRUARY. Paperbacks only,
in the following genres: action/adventure, suspense, contemporary
literary fiction, non-fiction biographies, and romance.
- Brad T. has asked for non-fiction books: current events, political affairs, history, personal finance and investing, and travel.
- Christian N. has asked for non-fiction books on current events and political affairs.
C. asked for non-fiction books in the topics of current events,
political affairs, history, biographies, personal finance and investing.
- The Crabtree Family is looking for girl's books, from age 7 through 13+.
Enright Family is looking for non-fiction biographies and history
books, as well as girl's board books and picture books, plus boy's books
- The Nelson Family has asked for girl's books for age 4 through 9.
Crill Family has asked for girl's board and picture books, and books
for boys and girls ages 4-6. Children's audio books are also welcomed.
Brown Family has asked for girl's books through age 6, puzzle books and
children's audio books. For adults, books on personal finance,
investing and travel are also welcomed.
- The Bains Family asked for boy's board books and picture books, plus preteen fiction for girls.
- The Iginoef Family asked for books for boys through age 6.
- The Abraham Family would like books for both boys and girls through age 9, and Young Adult books for boys age 13+.
- The Alberto Family would like boy's books through age 6 and puzzle books.
- The Warken Family would like books for both boys and girls through age 6.
- The Carrico Family would like books for both boys and girls through age 6, plus puzzle books.
- The Ochoa Family has asked for girl's books through age 6, and audio books are okay.
- The Marquez Family asked for boy's books for ages 4-6, and girl's books for ages 10 through 13+.
- The Emery Family is looking for girl's books from age 4 through 9.
- The Blazonis Family is looking for girl's board and picture books.
- The Murray Family needs books for boy's and girl's from toddler through teen.
- The Riley Family would like boy's board and picture books, plus girl's early readers for ages 4-6.
- The Tarver family would like girl's books from toddler through age 6, and boy's books from age 7 through to 13+.
Stuart Family has asked for boy's books from toddler through age 6, and
girls preteen fiction for ages 10-13. Puzzle books and audio books for
adults (fantasy, suspense/thrillers, and women's fiction), are also
- The Herring Family is looking for boy's early readers (ages 4-6), and girl's short chapter books for ages 7-9.
- The Wirth Family is looking for boy's early readers and short chapter books, for ages 4 through 9.
- The Connell Family would like boy's books from toddler through to age 12. Also adult genres fantasy and scifi, please.
Olmeda family would like boy's books suitable for ages 4 through 13+,
and girl's YA fiction books for age 13+. Books on CD for the children
would be welcomed, as would puzzle books.
Granity Family has asked for boy's books for toddler through age 6, and
audio books for adults in the suspense/thriller genre.
McDowell Family would like girl's early readers for ages 4-6, and boy's
books for ages 7 through 13+. Audio books are welcomed.
- The Rincon Family is looking for boy's board and picture books, plus girl's early readers.
- The Sanders Family would like girl's books for toddler through age 6, plus suspense/thrillers and women's fiction for adults.
- The Swanner Family would like girl's books for toddler through age 6.
Reedy Family would like books for girls from age 7 through 13+, as well
as contemporary literary fiction and women's fiction.
- The Muxlow Family is looking for board books and picture books for boys.
- The Parker Family is looking for early readers for boys and girls (ages 4-6).
- Westerns, puzzle books, and large print books are needed, in addition to all other genres.
So, gather up your gently used paperback and hardcover books of these titles and any others you have and take them to collection points at the St. Marys Submarine Museum or the Kingsland Visitors Center. You can also bring them to any of our Council meetings or contact OP Coordinator Cheryl Aston to arrange pick-up.
The Great Portage Race (GPR) is an area-wide orienteering Naval Sea Cadet Corps event sponsored by the Navy League Charleston Council. The GPR is held each year at Dreher Island State Park, South Carolina. Our Council supports this program annually with a financial contribution and manpower to help organize and manage the event.
GPR objectives include:
- Building teaming skills and developing waterborne skills among Sea Cadets and Naval Junior ROTC Units in South Carolina State.
- Providing physical and mental challenges that help to build a “can do” attitude.
- Increasing parental participation in their children’s extra-curricular activities and involving other organizations with interests in youth maritime activities.
- Supports Youth Programs that are focused on water sports, water safety and survival, and understanding of natural resources.
- Raises public awareness of the Sea Cadets and Navy League and the vital importance of our water resources for recreation, commercial and conservation use.
- Raises funds to support Sea Cadets and other participating Units.
- Attracts new members for Sea Cadets and Navy League.
- Builds partnerships with other maritime associations.
A Military Veterans Lounge was established at Coastal College of Georgia in 2014. The lounge provides a place for veterans to spend time studying, snacking and hanging out with other veterans between classes. Our Council is proud to provide finanancial support to the Military Veterans Lounge and help veterans succeed in the college environment.
THANK YOU for your support of our troops, our military families and our veterans!!!